Welcome to Part Five of our Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to drive visitors automatically to your website using the WordPress CMS platform.
So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part 1 of this article series, we provided an overview of the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to automating traffic to your site …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do to automatically drive web traffic is post web content consistently!)
In Part 2, we discuss the setup phase. We help you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a website, and what to do if your existing site has been built using WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we focused on important configuration decisions. We configured all the settings that affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure all the settings (hosting, internal and external) that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part Four, we discussed ways to automate the traffic system with different WordPress plugins.
(Publish content once and automate your content distribution to all other channels!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we discuss ways to optimize traffic to your website with different tools and strategies.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation Blueprint – Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website expertly configured, generating traffic successfully on a consistent basis is the result of having a well-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and good systems and processes in place.
(Automated traffic is the product of a business vision, planning, and great systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage this traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – The processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your business.
- Technical Systems – How you ensure that your online presence remains optimized for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow and manage your web traffic)
Let’s review the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive traffic to your website. You can test your marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing strategy?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you assign to these channels?
- How will you create your content and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the cost-effectiveness of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) to help you generate some initial data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes keep your web presence operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your website if your site is experiencing problems or your web pages are taking a very long time to load.
Your technical systems include handling technical areas like web hosting, site maintenance and support, installing and updating software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who is looking after my web hosting?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your website planning process and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. As with all technology, however, there will always be problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good business systems to help you manage and respond to new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you have good systems in place for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Tools And Methods
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus on is growing your “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of how to implement, optimize, and automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the flowchart below …
(Implementing an effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your business.
- Your expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to automatically syndicate your content to sites like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) can help you generate some initial actionable and intelligent data such as the keywords people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to increase more web site visitors using methods like Twitter advertising, videos, forum ads, etc.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
See previous sections of this tutorial series for many useful tools and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more potential users.
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Share your comments and posts online with others
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for likes/shares
- Accept user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more of your content published is great, but for this activity to be really effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with your audience.
Publishing better quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more people to share it around and hence more traffic.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Create and publish content that will add value to your audience and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing a special report or even an ebook that you can sell or distribute online.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
Learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting an online network.
With “Traffic On Demand,” your traffic will come from an audience of existing customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate traffic with a single post or email broadcast.
Traffic Optimization Ideas
- Encourage users to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an email newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Start or join an online group on LinkedIn.
Tools & Methods
There are many solutions and plugins that can help grow your influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- List-Building Solutions (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs & Provide Solutions To These
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to discover what users are searching for, you can develop new services and products, all of which can provide you with new opportunities for generating new sources of traffic.
- Create a free or paid online training program.
- Publish a special report or PDF guide that you can sell or distribute online e.g. sell on Clickbank.
- Add an e-commerce store to your site.
Tools & Methods
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic allows you to discover new traffic opportunities.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your website. Make sure you understand the metrics and can interpret the data.
WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the process, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider adding some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions if needed to help build authority and credibility, and also to increase engagement with users
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic
- Analyze your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again
Hopefully, this information has given you a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving traffic to your website and build a more successful business online.