Traffic is the lifeblood of just about every business online.
Learning sustainable methods of getting visitors to your website is essential to growing a business online successfully. Lack of web visitors is also one of the most common complaints made by website owners everywhere.
This article is part of a comprehensive series of articles designed to help business owners learn how to grow their business online sustainably using proven and inexpensive methods.
Why Are So Many Businesses Struggling To Bring More Traffic To Their Web Sites?
If you search for any of the key phrases below in Google …
- “how to attract traffic to my web site for free”
- “how do I get traffic to my web site”
- “top 100 ways to get website traffic”
- “how to attract more website traffic using banner ads”
- “drive web traffic to your web site”
… you will immediately find thousands of pages that provide tips, tricks and information about strategies to get more visitors to your site …
(There are many methods to drive more website visitors. In this article series you will learn how to set up a simple system to take advantage of most of these traffic-generation strategies!)
There is clearly no shortage of ways to drive visitors to your website. There are thousands of products and free sites that can teach you effective ways to drive more visitors to your website.
The problem often has more to do with businesses not investing sufficient time into learning how to generate new traffic sustainably, not setting up systems that allow them to manage the traffic generation process effectively, and, in many cases, not even being aware that there are things you can do to automate and leverage your web traffic generation.
The picture below shows the typical approach many small businesses take when it comes to generating web traffic …
This is how many small businesses approach the challenge of generating traffic to their sites
Essentially, the approach many small businesses typically take is this: first, you get your website, and then you figure out ways of driving traffic to your site.
As I will show you in a moment, there is a smarter approach.
Don’t make the mistake of believing that outsourcing your traffic generation to professionals will eliminate this problem.
There is nothing wrong with outsourcing if you have systems set up to manage and analyze the results of your traffic-generation activities already. If not, all you will probably do is end up spending a lot of your time and money looking for a profitable traffic method.
Without a proper foundation and systems in place, traffic generation can become very costly!
Driving web traffic sustainably involves laying a solid foundation online, putting the right systems in place, continually testing campaign elements, experimenting with different strategies, tracking results, and measuring ROI across different traffic-generation solutions.
Is There A Simple, Automated Way To Drive More Website Traffic?
Imagine if all you had to do to deliver a stream of targeted traffic to your business was publish valuable content consistently.
This is not science fiction … it’s a fact! Many website owners are already profiting with this automated traffic system … and so can you!
In my Traffic Guide article series, you will learn what you need to do to set up an automated traffic system that will begin delivering an ongoing stream of web traffic to your web site, simply by publishing content to your website on a consistent basis.
How To Set Up A System That Will Automatically Help Increase Traffic To Your Site
As you can see in the diagram below, the traffic guide I discuss in this article series involves 3 fundamental steps:
- Set up systems to lay down a solid foundation for generating sustainable traffic
- Add content on a regular basis to start driving traffic and generating traffic data
- Test other traffic strategies
To get sustainable web traffic, you first need to set up the right systems
At this point, I’m mostly concerned with Step One. The purpose of this article series is to explain how to set up a traffic-generation system that will ultimately:
- Save time using leverage and automation
- Save money by starting simple and scaling up to suit your budget
- Automatically notify search engines
- Instantly notify and publicize your content to all of your social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.)
- Gain valuable insights about your traffic-generation methods, analyze results, measure ROI.
- Outsource traffic-generation while maintaining full control of the process
- Grow your business online cost-effectively and sustainably
You can achieve all of the above using what I will refer to in this article series as an expertly-configured WordPress website …
What Is An Expertly-Configured WordPress Web Site?
An expertly-configured WordPress site is not the same thing as a professionally-configured WordPress web site.
An expertly-configured WordPress website is a site that is not only driven by the WordPress CMS platform, but has also been expertly set up and configured (either by yourself or professionally) to take advantage of the tremendous power, ease-of-use and built-in functionality of WordPress and the way it integrates with other services, specifically in areas like SEO, content syndication and analytics.
Why Do I Need An Expertly-Configured WordPress Site?
I write extensively on this site about the benefits of using the WordPress CMS to grow your business online.
Understanding how an expertly-configured WordPress blog can help create an automated traffic-generation system requires a number of articles, which is why I strongly recommend that you spend some time reading my posts.
Let’s start by answering a couple of basic questions:
Why use WordPress to set up an automated traffic generation system? Why can’t you just use another platform?
Take a look at the diagram below …
Many websites are built with platforms that create static websites, or websites with static web pages. Essentially, what this means is that your digital content mostly sits inside a server waiting to be found. By itself, the traditional website doesn’t communicate with anyone else outside its application; it doesn’t broadcast to anybody in cyberspace, or inform any other website that new content has been published.
Think about it … if, in a traditional website, the content just sits in a server passively waiting to be found, then the site owner has to actively promote their site and its content to continue driving web traffic.
WordPress is different.
WordPress comes with default functionality that lets site owners set up, easily configure and build an automated web traffic generation machine, where all you then need to do is post new content and your site will do the rest, immediately notifying search engines, social media and other online properties about your site to generate you new website traffic …
With an expertly-configured WordPress site, you just publish new content and WordPress will then do the rest, notifying other sites about your new content and bringing you back web traffic …
In Part 2 of the Traffic Guide overview, I explain the components of your automated online traffic system:
- Setup – Learn the best way to get started if you don’t have a web presence yet, or if you already have an existing site that may or may not have been built using WordPress.
- Configure – By default, WordPress already comes with a number of built-in features and settings to help you generate traffic. Learn what features and settings have to be configured for optimal results.
- Automate – Your traffic system requires not only expert configuration of internal WordPress settings, but also expert integration of your built-in WordPress features with third-party tools and other sites (e.g. webmaster, analytics and social media accounts).
- Publicize – After configuring your WordPress settings and integrating your website with various third-party services, you then begin publishing new content consistently and WordPress will instantly notify and inform search engines, your social media pages and other online properties about the new content, giving your content wider online exposure to more web visitors.
- Optimize – I recommend starting with a content-based strategy to build traffic organically. With the right systems in place, you can then start to monitor and analyze the traffic generated as a result and start gathering valuable information that will allow you to make better decisions as you expand to new traffic generation methods.
This is the end of Section One
Read Part 2
This article is part of an article series designed to help business owners learn how to grow their business online sustainably using proven and cost-effective online marketing methods.