Are you missing out on customers because of poor web design? No matter how good your products are, a poorly-constructed website can end up costing you valuable business.
In a world where beautiful design matters, your website’s design can affect the success of your business. Your website is the first thing that a visitors see and this could affect their decision to purchase from you.
Think about how you do research about products and services nowadays. Even if it’s just preliminary research, we still jump online and go visit somebody’s web site first before buying products in-store or online.
Now, put yourself in your visitor’s shoes. How does your web presence appear to online users? Does it invite them to approach and explore things further, or does it make them hesitant and unsure about where to go next?
What your web visitors see “above the fold” (i.e. what you first see in your screen) is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other things than can affect your visitors’ experience and their purchasing decisions.
Let’s take a look at a few key design problems that can affect your web site:
Web Design Problems
Common web design issues that can affect a prospect’s perception of your site include:
- Color – Poor color combinations can affect your site’s results. This also applies to using text and background color. There are tools to select web colors correctly and even safe web color tools to help ensure that the palettes you select will display correctly across different mediums. If in doubt, seek the services of a professional web designer.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain unpleasant, outdated and just plain ugly graphics can turn prospects away from your site. Visitors can also be affected by design inconsistencies and overpowering use of design elements.
- Layout – How your pages are structured can have a significant impact in the way users navigate around your site. Layout considerations also include how your navigational menus, links and other useful elements are placed, where menus are positioned on your site, content columns, etc ….
- Responsiveness – As websites are now accessed through various devices with different-sized screens, it’s important that the design of your website be responsive. If your website does not display well across all devices, browsers and platforms, you may experience potential business opportunity losses.
Site Functionality Issues
Some common functionality problems include the following:
- Persistent site errors – A huge turn-off for users is landing on a page where links don’t work, videos can’t play and images are missing. Persistent site errors are not acceptable in any website, especially if you are trying to come across as a professional and reliable company. Your website reflects your company. It’s important therefore, to make sure that all your links, videos and images remain working all the time. In some cases, these problems are caused by factors like your web hosting, or they may even be unbeknownst to you, but it’s important to make sure that you’re consistently proactive and that all problems are repaired immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your site offers users specific features, then make sure that these are not limited. For example, if you would like to sell products on your site, make sure that you provide customers with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to choose and add items to a shopping cart, enter discounts, complete purchases with credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, invoices and confirmations, etc.
Poor User Experience
Normally, where prospective clients suffer most due to a poorly-built web site is the “user experience”.
A bad user experience can leave a bad taste in people’s mouths and lead them to share their frustrations across social media, user forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc., bringing you negative attention.
Common problems that can cause a poor user experience include the following:
- User Friendly – Your site must be easy to use and easy to navigate around in. Information about your products and services should be easy to locate. Your customers want user-friendly features and they want to find things as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable files to your site (e.g. presentation slides), make sure that users are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organization – If your site isn’t organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only potential buyers but also current clients. Having features such as descriptive links, product and service categories and clearly-defined areas where related content is grouped or linked together provides visitors with an enjoyable experience.
- Eye-Catching Web Site – Customers stick around on sites that are user friendly, well organized, and that provide them with stimulating options. To achieve this you need to strive for a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling website copy that engages your visitors. For example, highlight hyperlinks which lead to product pages by inserting eye-catching photos or illustrations next to well-crafted product descriptions. This can be very effective and will help improve not just the user experience on your site, but can also help you generate more sales and conversions.
- User Engagement Features – Another area that helps to improve user experience on your site is providing interactive features that engage users, like allowing them to comment on, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your support staff via a responsive help desk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want visitors to browse quickly through your site and access your data without waiting around for pages to load, so having your site optimized for faster loading pages is important.
As the above shows, there are many areas that can lead to a poor user experience and impact your business success online. If your web site is poorly constructed, you run the risk of not only losing prospective paying clients, but also some of current customers as well.
Now … what if you have arrived on this website because you currently have an existing website with design issues that may be affecting your business?
First, understand that getting problems corrected on an existing site can take time and can end up being somewhat costly depending on the problem and what kind of website you have, especially if the work requires a lot of code writing.
If you are currently researching the process of getting a new website built or redesigning an existing web site, then we suggest that you consider choosing the WordPress web publishing platform.
We currently publish more in-depth articles about the benefits and advantages of the WordPress CMS platform on this site, but here are just a few key points to keep in mind about why you should seriously choose WordPress:
WP Themes – Flexible Web Design
WP themes are unique website design templates that let you instantly modify the look of your entire site with only a few mouse clicks.
There are literally thousands of professional looking themes created for WordPress site owners available that can be downloaded. Many of these are either freely available, or they are relatively cheap to purchase, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of web design.
Most themes nowadays are fully responsive and provide website owners with customizable features for changing design on your website such as color, template elements like headers and footers, page layouts and more. Themes are just part of what makes WordPress such a powerful tool for helping you achieve a design for your website that helps your business.
WP Plugins – Modular Functionality
Another compelling reason to build your site using the WordPress web site publishing software is that WordPress gives you almost unlimited features through add-on applications called “plugins.”
Plugins, like WP themes, integrate with your site to provide you with almost unlimited new features.
Earlier in this post we talked about issues like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly constructed web site could end up costing you money.
Plugins can help you overcome these issues quite easily and inexpensively. If there is a feature that needs to be your site, just install a plugin that will help you get things done.
Want a plugin that will notify you about any problems on your website like links not working, audios not playing, images that aren’t showing or even alert you if your entire web site is down? No problems … there are plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about problems so you can take immediate corrective action!
Want a plugin that will turn your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce solution? Again, no problem! There are several plugins that will help you sell goods or services online and provide your visitors with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily choose and add products to a shopping cart, enter discounts, order with credit card or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, invoices and email confirmations, etc.
And just like WordPress themes, there are thousands of useful plugins created for WordPress users that you can install on your website at no cost, or that are extremely affordable, once again, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of website development.
You can learn more about WordPress plugins here: using plugins
WordPress – An Interactive Website User Experience
In addition to being able to address issues caused by a poorly-constructed web site, WordPress can also help you provide visitors with a great user experience.
WordPress provides beautifully-designed and exciting themes that cover all kinds of applications and feature-rich plugins that allow visitors to connect, engage and interact online with you. With the right combination of a WordPress site, WordPress themes and plugins, plus great content, you can create a rich user experience that will keep them coming back for more.
As stated earlier, consumers nowadays will do extensive research online before they make a purchasing decision. If your website isn’t designed with the customer in mind, they will not return and simply move on to another business with a better website.
Hopefully this post has given you a better understanding of problems that can affect your website and how WordPress can help you expand your business business online. To learn more about the benefits of using WordPress for a business web site please click on links to visit other posts we have published on this site.
Want more help with WordPress? Please tell us what you think or take a moment to share this information with your friends.