In Part One of this guide on ways to improve your health or medical-related business web presence, we provided many practical tips and suggestions on the following areas:
- Online Challenges For Medical Practitioners
- Opportunities For The Health And Medical Profession In The Web Economy
- Your Website Pages
- Tips On How To Improve The Content On Your Website
In this section, we continue looking at more ways to grow your medical-related services online.
Areas covered in this (and the following section) include:
- Improving Web Traffic
- Ways To Generate More Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Applications
- How To Improve Search Engine Optimization, Increase User Engagement And Generate More Traffic Using Plugins
For more information about WordPress plugins and themes, see these articles:
Note: Plugins are described in this section. WordPress themes for medical businesses are covered in Part 3.
Your web traffic is vital to your business growth. In this section we explore ways to help you improve your web traffic.
Optimize Your Site For Search Engines
There are lots of ways that WordPress helps improve SEO:
- URLs – Set the permalinks to use the title of the post.
- Tags – Specify the keywords that you want your article pages (posts) to be indexed for in the search engines.
- Post Categories – Create search engine-friendly categories for keeping your content organized and easy to find.
- Excerpts – WordPress lets you compose descriptions for your posts that will display to search engine users.
- Images – title images with keywords for improved search engine results.
- Content Linking – WordPress has a built-in feature that allows you to easily create internal links for better page indexing
- Pinging – Set up your site to automatically notify (ping) other search directories the moment a new post is published on your site.
WordPress Plugins For Improving Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Increasing User Engagement And Generating More Visitors To Your Website
As well as the built-in features of WordPress, there are dozens of WordPress plugins that will improve your website’s SEO, increase user engagement and drive more visitors to your business.
For example, here are some plugins you can use to improve your website’s search engine optimization:
- Yoast SEO – WordPress SEO plugin
- Google XML Sitemaps – WordPress XML sitemap plugin (for search engines)
- Page-List – WordPress site map plugin (for visitors)
(Use a plugin like Yoast SEO to improve your SEO)
Other things you can do to improve your website’s SEO, increase engagement and drive more traffic to your website are to add a forum, newsletters, commenting, and social features. Here are some plugins that can help:
- BuddyPress – Use this plugin to set up and run a social community on WordPress.
- bbPress – Run your own online discussion forum on your WordPress site.
- E-Newsletter – Use E-Newsletter to send professional email newsletters, track results and manage subscribers from your WordPress dashboard, without requiring third-party subscriptions.
- Disqus – use this WordPress plugin to power discussions and helps to increase user engagement on your site.
- Social Media Feather – Add powerful social sharing features on your website.
(You can easily add social sharing to your website with free or inexpensive WordPress plugins)
Generate Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress
Let’s now take a look at ways to improve your sales and generate leads and enquiries.
Providing A Newsletter
Adding a newsletter is a great way to retain and grow your readership. Adding email newsletters] provides many benefits and advantages, like:
- Sends targeted traffic to your site
- Keeps readers from forgetting about you
- Provides useful updates
- Provides you with a highly targeted marketing channel
- It’s a way to provide special services or products to a select audience
- Increases interaction
- Provides an additional way for subscribers to share your content
One of the things you can do to get visitors to subscribe is to provide high value content and give users something for free in exchange for their details. This can be a handy guide, tips for improving health, fitness and nutrition, access to fitness apps, discount coupons, access to subscriber-only content, contests, etc.
Contact forms provide an easy and simple way for readers to get in touch. A contact form also lets visitors report issues, ask questions to specific departments, ask for a quote, send suggestions and more.
Contact forms provide several benefits and advantages, like:
- Reduces spam
- Set up automated responses
- Giving you control over what gets sent to you
- You can keep your email address private
- Different forms can be added to any post or page
- Looks professional
- More convenient for visitors
A very popular contact form plugin for WordPress is Contact Form 7.
(Contact Form 7)
Contact Form 7 is easy to install and configure and allows you to add and manage multiple contact forms to your pages and posts, customize the forms and the email contents, add fields, and more.
International languages, Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, and spam filtering is also supported.
Something else to consider if you want to set up a website for a medical center is adding sections to your contact form so visitors can select which practitioner they want to contact. This helps get their message to the right area.
Add A Map
Adding maps helps your visitors and clients find you.
Adding maps (e.g. Google Maps) to your WordPress site also provides many benefits, such as:
- Maps improve local SEO
- Visitors can find your office more easily
- Show location of events
(Maps help your visitors and customers find you)
Popular Google Maps plugins for WordPress include:
- Google Maps
- Advanced Google Maps Plugin for WordPress
- WP Google Maps
- Comprehensive Google Map Plugin
Improve Search Engine Optimization, Increase User Engagement And Generate More Traffic With WordPress Plugins And Themes
Medical – WordPress Plugins
WordPress lets you add a number of plugins to your site to immediately add a range of functional tools for users. Here are just some of these:
(Booking Calendar WordPress Plugin)
Booking Calendar lets you add online bookings to your site. Booking Calendar is well supported, has an intuitive and user-friendly interface and flexible functionality. It is highly suitable for a range medical, fitness and sports businesses, e.g. dental practices, surgeons, chiropractors, booking sessions with personal trainers, etc.
(Booking Calendar Plugin For WordPress – Overview)
This booking reservations plugin works out of the box. Your website visitors can check availability of services you offer and make online bookings easily. Site administrators and visitors receive email notifications. The plugin also lets you add a calendar or booking form to your site’s sidebar, and offers multi-language support. A premium version is also available with a ton of extra features and functionalities.
More info: Booking Calendar
Event Espresso – WordPress Event Management And Ticketing Registration Plugin
(Manage Bookings & Registrations Via The Web With Event Espresso Plugin For WP)
If you plan to run medical or health events, then you need a plugin like Event Espresso.
The Event Espresso online event registration plugin allows you to easily set up an event and begin receiving bookings literally in minutes
(Event Espresso – WordPress Event Registration And Ticket Manager Software)
Event Espresso is a feature-rich software that gives you complete control over your event registration management process.
We have written a detailed article on the benefits and features of using Event Espresso. Go here to learn more about this: Manage Event Bookings Via The Web Using Event Espresso For WP
(Calculator Pro Calculators Plugin)
Calculator Pro Calculators provides a free collection of over 400 calculators that you can display on your website and embed into your pages, posts, or sidebars using shortcodes. The plugin also supports internationalization
Most of them aren’t designed for medical or health-related usage, but there are a number you can add to your site, including:
- Body Statistics – e.g. Blood Volume Calculator, Child Height Calculator, Goal Weight Calculator, Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) GFR Calculator, VO2 Max Calculator, etc.
- Calorie – e.g. Calorie to kJ Calculator, kJ to Calorie Calculator, Calories Burned Running Calculator, etc.
- Fitness Tests – e.g. Coopers 12 Minute Run Test Calculator, Bruce Treadmill Test Calculator, etc.
- Miscellaneous – e.g. Advanced One Rep Max Weight Lifting Calculator, Blood Donation Calculator, Pregnancy Calculator, Target Heart Rate Calculator, etc.
- Nutrition – e.g. Alcohol Calorie Calculator, Creatine Calculator, etc.
- Weight – e.g. Ideal Weight Calculator, Weight Loss Calculator, etc.
More info: Calculators Pro Plugin
(Calculated Fields Form Plugin)
This plugin lets you create forms that perform single and complex calculations, such as:
- Health & Fitness Calculators
- Ideal Weight Calculator
- Pregnancy Calculator
- Calorie Calculators
- And more
The plugin is also available in a premium version with a ton of extra features.
More info: Calculated Fields Form Plugin
(Weight Loss Tracker WordPress Plugin)
This plugin lets users record their weight periodically. The results are then shown in a graph and table.
(Weight Loss Tracker Plugin – Graph)
The plugin allows users to insert target weights and supports the following weight formats: Metric (Kg), Imperial – Stones & Pounds, Imperial – Pounds only.
For more details, go here: Weight Loss Tracker Plugin
(Simple BMI Calculator Widget – WordPress Plugin)
Simple BMI Calculator is a free plugin that installs a widget on your sidebar that can be configured and customized to match your theme.
In addition to Simple Body Mass Index Calculator, there are a number of other WordPress plugins you can look at that perform similar functions:
- BMI BMR Calculator – A BMI and BMR calculator that saves calculation data for logged-in users and gives an overview to the trainer.
- BMI / IMC Calculator – A simple calculator that displays your site visitor’s BMI
- Calotor Calorie Counter – Lets visitors calculate their basal metabolic rate, based on their age, sex and weight.
- And lots more
More information: Simple Body Mass Index Calculator Widget – WordPress Plugin
(Drug Interaction Data – WordPress Plugin)
Drug Interaction Data Plugin for WordPress can be used to display drug information, including what the drugs are used to treat and what other medications the drugs are known to interact with.
(Drug Interaction Data – Database Results)
Drug information can be displayed on your site. The data is provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the U.S. National Institutes of Health and drug names are converted to the standardized RxNorm name as defined by the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
To learn more about about this WordPress plugin, visit this site: Drug Interaction Data – WordPress Plugin
(PubMed Posts – WordPress Plugin)
PubMed Posts adds a dashboard widget that lets you publish content to your site from PubMed articles, and a search widget that lets site visitors search for posts with specific data. A basic editor that changes the layout of data in the post content is also included with the plugin.
PubMed contains over 25 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books.
More info: PubMed Posts Plugin
(MJM Clinic – WordPress Plugin)
This versatile plugin was designed for clinic and health care related websites. It lets you add service pages with booking forms, multiple clinic locations, provide related health conditions, add case studies, link indication tags to conditions, etc.
More information: MJM Clinic Plugin
Treato WordPress plugin lets you display information about drugs on your site and see what see what patients are saying about different drugs.
Treato gathers and analyzes experiences sourced directly from patients from online forums and blog posts, then aggregates the posts to generate useful insights about users’ medications, diseases and symptoms. Users can access insight about the side effects of over 26,500 medications, drug comparisons across over 14,500 medical conditions, which drugs people feel work, and more, from over 2.2 billion collected posts.
Go here to learn more about this WordPress plugin: Treato Plugin
(HealthTap Concierge – WordPress Plugin)
HealthTap Concierge allows consumers to consult with doctors via HD video or text chat from any mobile device, computer, even smartwatch.
With the plugin installed, users can type in a health question and receive a list of doctors in their geographic area who specialize in that particular topic. They can then select a doctor, chat over video or text, or send the doctor their question.
To learn more about this plugin, visit this website: HealthTap Concierge Plugin
(Trend MD Plugin For WordPress)
This plugin will add the TrendMD recommendations widget to your site. The TrendMD recommendations widget is used by scholarly publishers to increase their readership and revenue by allowing people to discover, read or cite scholarly content from your journals or websites through personalized recommendations.
To learn more about using this WordPress plugin, go here: Trend MD Plugin
(WP Nutrition Facts WP Plugin)
This free plugin lets you add a nutrition facts table into your posts and pages, allowing your site visitors to make better decisions about the food they consume.
(WP Nutrition Facts Plugin – Custom Post Type Label Creation)
WP Nutrition Facts uses the Canadian Food Inspection (CFIA) nutrition labelling regulations.
More information: WP Nutrition Facts – WordPress Plugin
(WP Ultimate Recipe)
If you run a health or fitness website that provides nutritional or healthy eating advice, a great source of engaging content to your site is to publish recipes.
Plugins like WP Ultimate Recipe let you easily add recipes on your site.
Other WordPress recipe plugins include:
- Recipe Card – Publish beautiful recipes that site users can print, save and review.
- EasyRecipe – EasyRecipe makes entering recipes on your site easy with features like cut and paste, auto conversion of your plain text recipe posts, live custom formatting, Google Recipe View formatting, automatic ratings and conversion from other recipe plugins.
- Zip Recipes – You can easily format recipe text and add images. The plugin also provides a number of additional features, including Google Recipe View formatting and SEO.
- And many more.
More information: WP Ultimate Recipe – WP Plugin
(Awesome Fitness Testimonials – WordPress Plugin)
Awesome Fitness Testimonials allows you to add fitness & wellness testimonials, case studies and reviews to your site.
Go here for more information about this plugin: Awesome Fitness Testimonials Plugin For WordPress
(Exercise Images by Everkinetic WordPress Plugin)
The Exercise Images plugin lets you display a database of exercise illustrations inside your web content.
(Exercise Images by Everkinetic Plugin For WordPress – Database)
To learn more about this WordPress plugin, go here: Exercise Images
In the next section, we take a look at WordPress themes that are suitable for medical businesses.
This is the end of part two of this guide on ways to improve your medical or health web presence.